Thursday, October 27, 2011

Food Watch: Homemade Using Up Food

Using Up Food

I do try to use up most things that I buy, because I hate throwing food away. I often do, but I try really hard not to.

How to Use Make the Most


Last night for dinner, I had a package of 10 chicken thighs. I only made six for our dinner, so I had four leftover today. I put them in a pot with diced celery, carrots, onion, green peppers, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper, and water, and let it simmer for a couple of hours. This made a great broth.

I love having broth in the house. There's so many uses for it.

Broth


Gravy

I took out the thighs for our dinner. With this, I used a cup of broth with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and a cup of milk and made gravy. I made mashed potatoes to go with our dinner.


Potato Soup

With the broth, I diced up potatoes and onion, and made a big batch of potato and ham soup.

We had a little of the soup to go with dinner, and the rest will go with sandwiches for lunch.


These tips are how I try to make the most out of what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment