Sunday, October 2, 2011

Food Watch: Putting Homemade Foods Together

Tonight I decided to make "Beef and Bean Taco Casserole." I found the recipe here: Beef and Bean Taco Casserole



It calls for salsa, taco seasoning, and refried beans. All of these I have made homemade and are ready to use.

I browned a pound of ground turkey, then added a touch a water and 3T of taco seasoning and let simmer for a few minutes. In the bottom of a casserole dish, I put in a little oil and crushed tortilla chips. I topped with the meat mixture, about a cup of refried beans, and a cup of salsa (put in enough to cover the casserole). After that I topped it with diced green peppers, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and covered with shredded cheese. Put in the oven at 350 degrees for a half hour. Once out of the oven, I put more diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and a few crushed tortilla chips. You can top with more salsa or sour cream.

This was really good using all homemade items. Next time I will have to make my own tortilla chips, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment