Sunday, October 2, 2011

Food Watch: Bisquick Baking Mix Recipe

I find that Bisquick baking mix costs a fortune. I never buy it, because I can't afford to. Bisquick/baking mix is great for making biscuits, pancakes, casseroles and all kinds of things. Here is a great recipe for making Biscuit Baking Mix yourself:

Biscuit Baking Mix
6 cups flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1T salt
3/4 cup shortening (I used soft butter)

Mix first three ingredients, then cut in the butter. Since my butter was soft, I just had to stir it in good. Turns into kind of a pebble-looking flour mixture. This makes 7 cups.

If you go to bettycrocker.com, there are a ton of recipes using baking mix for the recipes. This morning I used it to make biscuits.

Biscuit Recipe

2 1/4 cup Biscuit Baking Mix
2/3 cup of milk

Mix this together, and if sticky, add more until you can work with it. Once mixed up good into a dough, flatten on table 1/4 inch thick. Use a cup of something round to cut out the biscuits. Place on cooking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until done.

I also made some of my sausage gravy this morning and had sausage gravy over my biscuits. It was really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment