Sunday, October 9, 2011

Food Watch: Chili Cheese Fries and Other Things

My kids wanted different things to eat today, so okay, "What do you want?"

My daughter said, "Chicken sandwich and fries with gravy."

My son said, "Chicken sandwich and chili cheese fries."

"Well, ya don't want much, do you? No problem. Gotcha covered."

I had Italian Sausage in the fridge, so I started frying that up. When brown, I took the sausage out, and put it in a saucepan along with a cup and a half of my homemade salsa. I boiled dry beans yesterday for bean soup but I had some leftover, so I put the beans in, along with some chili powder. Okay, chili simmering.

With the pan drippings from the sausage, I put in 2 tablespoons of flour and a little milk, stirring constantly. As the mixture thickens, add enough milk to make it your desired thickness. Okay, gravy, done.


I have potatoes on hand all the time. I peeled them, and sliced them into french fry slices and put on a baking sheet. I put a little oil on them, salt, pepper, and chili powder, and mixed it up so they all had the same amount of oil and spices. Preheat over to 350 degrees and bake until done. Fries done.

Taking a few scoops of my chili, I put it in a bowl with some diced up Velveeta cheese, put it in the microwave for 2 minutes or til cheese is melted. Stir. Instant cheese sauce.

Chicken breast in fridge leftover from night before last. I sliced it up and made their chicken sandwiches. When the fries were done, I put my daughter's plate together with her chicken sandwich and fries with gravy, and my son's plate had his chicken sandwich and his chili cheese fries. The gravy, chili, and cheese sauce turned out really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment