Friday, October 7, 2011

Food Watch: Apple Pie Filling

I found a great recipe this morning that called for apple pie filling. I don't have any. I know I can make some to use now, but was curious to know if I could make it to freeze for later. Of course, I can. I have all the stuff. It's apple season. Right now is a great time to buy bushels of apples. I got one for $4. Now I am going to make and store this (Oh, and for all those that think I have a big freezer. Nope. I wish I did. Right now it's crammed full of stuff. I will have to start carting things over to my mom's basement freezer soon.


Apple Pie Filling

18 cups thinly sliced apples
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
10 cups water

Instructions

Now I will always have it in my freezer.

1 comment:

  1. My ex mother-in-law does this too, but she actually adds the pie filling to her pie crusts and adds the top crust and freeze's them whole. than all she does is take one out when she wants to bake a pie and lets it sit on the counter for an hour or so and them pops it in the oven. Even if it's not completely thawed it cooks great. All you have to do is cover the pie with tin foil at first until it is almost completely done and then remove the foil and brush with an egg wash and sprinkle sugar on the top (for color and to give it a glazed look) and finish baking until bubbly and golden brown.

    ReplyDelete