Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Food Watch: Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Jarred spaghetti sauce can be quite pricey at times. It's just as easy and tastes better if you make it yourself. That is what I really saw happening with my plunder of tomatoes. I had planned to make spaghetti sauce and freeze it. What's better than homemade spaghetti sauce? Okay, my daughter is boring and likes the stuff in the jar, but my son and I really like the homemade sauce. It has flavor.

I set two big pots on the stove and in each, put in about 2 teaspoons of oil and a half diced onion. Then I added in 4 pureed tomatoes. I added in a clove of crushed garlic and a couple of teaspoons of Italian Seasoning, 2 tablespoons of sugar (I use Sugar Twin or Splenda) and a little parsley. I let that simmer for about an hour and a half. If you want it thicker, add in a can of tomato paste.

Here's a great video. I made this sauce, except that I used the real tomatoes crushed in the food processor.

I now have a four containers of spaghetti sauce in the freezer for another time. What I love about these recipes are that it's all about veggies and seasonings.

Spaghetti Sauce
4 tomatoes, pureed
2 tablespoon oil
1 clove garlic, diced
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 tablespoon parsley
6oz tomato paste
salt and pepper

Puree tomatoes (get rid of seeds and skin, if desired).
Put 2 tablespoons of oil and diced onion into pot. Stir til onion is soft. Add garlic. Cook for a minute. Add the rest of ingredients. Let simmer for an hour. If it gets too thick, add water.

You can also add in cooked Italian Sausage, or ground beef or ground turkey, or even meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment