Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Food Watch: Taco Seasoning Recipe

I admit that I hardly ever remember to buy taco seasoning, and we eat tacos at least once a week. When I do remember to buy it, the price makes me want to faint. So instead I have started to make my own with the spices I have in the cupboard. The batch of seasonings is also good on meats or in scrambled eggs or other things that might need a little flavor.

This is another recipe that can be done to what your tastes are. If you don't like one of the spices, leave it out. If you have other spices that you like better, use them. It's all up to you. I usually always get these spices for a dollar a piece.

Taco Seasoning

5 tablespoons chili powder (my base)
4 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons cumin
4 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons steak seasoning
4 tablespoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Often if I have some other spice that I think might go well into it, I add that, too. This batch lasts quite awhile. You only need a few tablespoons for a pound of ground meat for tacos, or a sprinkle on top of meats.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! I was just looking for this. We too eat tacos weekly - Taco Tuesday! Not all our tacos are traditional - some are chicken or fish and others morph in to burritos, but I was just talking to my DH about making our own mix!

    ReplyDelete