Thursday, October 6, 2011

Food Watch: Macaroni and Cheese

Macaroni and Cheese that is not out of the box is a LOT better. Make your own cheese sauce. I almost always make my own sauce, and my kids prefer it that way. Once in awhile I break out the box, but we've been spoiled with the real thing.


Cheese Sauce

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour (either whole wheat or white)
2 - 3 cups of milk
8 oz Cheese (any type that you like)

For the cheese sauce, put the oil and flour into a pan. Stir for a minute. Pour in milk and stir. Let the milk warm up before putting in the cheese. Slowly put in cheese, let melt, put in more cheese, let melt. All the while stirring. Put in as much cheese as you like. You can either have it milkier or cheesier.

Boil macaroni until done. Drain. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni. Stir. You can make it as saucy as you like it. Salt and pepper to taste.

For a wonderful dish, pour the macaroni into a casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs and more cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted.

In either version, you can also add things to it like diced veggies or chicken.

The cheese sauce is also good over steamed or roasted veggies.

2 comments:

  1. That's how I make Mac and Cheese. The nice thing is that you can have as much or as little cheese sauce as you like. We add cooked broccoli or cauliflower to the noodles for added nutrition and fun. Cauliflower that is broken into little tiny bits are almost hidden for those who are veggie wary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that it was my mom that taught me to make cheese sauce, and then the baked version I learned from Rachel Ray. I love cooking shows. I don't often add things, cuz my kids are a little picky, but I like things added to it, specially chicken and broccoli. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete